Friday, June 17, 2005

Too Hot & Sticky!! Grumble, Grumble...

It's been really humid today. Well, by my standards. Bah. I really dislike summer. I'm not an outdoors person at the best of times, and I loathe being sticky and sweaty. Give me a nice interesting autumnal day with wind and rain any day, or a crisp winter's morning. Sunshine can get so...well, samey - after a while. Still, since it's only mid June I suppose I'd better get used to it for the next few months. Emily and Jon both love the summer, so I guess 2 out 3's not bad. For me, though - roll on autumn. (Can you tell I'm not one for lounging on beaches and jetting off to "sunnier climes"????)

Anyway, my daily moan over, on to more interesting stuff. We had a maths morning this morning, going back over some of the basics, and reading another few chapters of the latest Tudor Tales book. Our fridge chose the hottest day of the year so far to break down. Oh joy, another unanticipated expense. Mind you, I remember it being in the kitchen of my childhood home when I was about 8, so I guess it's had a good life.

Emily and I went off to the Kirton Lindsey to visit the garden centre in the vain hope that inspiration might strike for Grandad's forthcoming birthday (it didn't) or Father's Day (nope, no luck there either). We did get another bird feeder and some more bird grub, though. Back home our little artist settled into a very, very detailed picture on a piece of scroll paper - it's Queen Elizabeth I on her throne, presiding over rows of fairies and fairy cats (dontcha just love the blend of reality and fantasy there!). She adores drawing "people" (loosely defined to include fairies, mermaids, cats in dresses..) and every single one always has to be different. Took her ages to do this one, whilst she happily listened along to a Greek Myths CD.

We also sent off a postcard to the US family that chose us in a home educators postcard exchange. We're now eagerly waiting to receive one from a family in Alaska - much more my type of weather! Jon found some lovely postcards in the post office of the village's Norman church, so we've sent one of those.

Have promised we'll get the paddling pool out tomorrow after ballet, as we're apparently set for high temperatures tomorrow. Emily being somewhat more enthusiastic on that score than I am!

No comments: