Friday, July 15, 2005

Friendship Day


It was a year ago today that we first met Hazel, Colin and Romy, and Romy long ago had the brilliant idea of naming today Friendship Day. And so it was. We had a lovely play in Romy's garden this afternoon, and the girls exchanged cards and pressies. Romy gave Emily a lovely hand made Elephant card and a gorgeous gemstone Friendship Star, and Emily gave Romy a fairy card and this cushion thingy she'd made (with a bit of help from me when the chainstitch got too much!). RE is for the initials Romy and Emily:


Yesterday was a bit of a blur; I think we did some maths and some sewing in the morning, and then I took Grandad to the eye clinic at the hospital, which, given the lack of car parking facilities, was a bit of a palava. Emily did enjoy watching another episode of Worst Jobs in History last night, though, and spent lots of time drawing a French Hood shop. She loves those (headdress of the type worn by Anne Boleyn in particular). I wish we could get a decent Tudor dressing up outfit for her. I've been trying to find one ever since the Tudor passion took hold, but I don't want to pay more than about £25 max, and the only one I've seen on ebay was about £35 plus not particularly historically accurate (and trust me, that matters). If I was more "crafty" I'm sure we should be able to make one. But I'm not, lol, so we won't!!

This morning we did some more maths from the mental maths book, which Emily's doing really well with. Takes a bit of persuading to start it at times, but she does whizz through it once she's got going, and I've definitely seen an improvement in the speed and accuracy of her answers. We don't insist on anything else, but I do try to encourage her into some maths and some English most days. I'm sure some would heartily disapprove of that, but well, it works for us.

A Monarchs of England Card Game arrived this morning, which looks like a lot of fun, so I daresay we'll be doing that later this evening. At the moment, Emily and Jon are building a hovercraft to go in her paddling pool. Hard to believe that a year ago she was still at school....the year's gone so fast!

2 comments:

Nikki said...

Hi Heather; yes, Emily and Romy (Hazel's Romy's Mum ;-)) do have a lovely friendship. They really look after each other and have masses of fun. Happy End of First Year to you too!

Nikki said...

Lol, usually way past any decent bedtime here too by the time I get to reading blogs!